Hi back fellow fly fisherman! Sorry for not being able to post the news sooner, but the Fauna Fly Shop is in these days under an immense pressure of the “hatching anglers” if I may call many different visiting groups in that way
It has become very obvious now, how the super wet and cold May month was keeping down many fly fisherman seeking for some spring time fly fishing.. and now, when the green lights “go fly fishing” are finally turning on – everybody wants to be the 1st one to arrive on the spots! Well, there is enough of space on those many Slovenian rivers, but meeting some other anglers will be a daily must in the weeks to follow..
My ears in the Fauna fly shop are widely open, and regardless the fact that I can not (saaaadly) go on the fly fishing every day, this is what I had learn from the fellow fishing visitors:
Short comments and fly fishing gossips:
- Sava Bohinjka, the very upper area of the fishing club Bohinj, these days hosting many anglers, mostly German, Belgium and French fisherman.. why? the spring-like levels of the river are still strong in currents despite being crystal clear.. and the more up the river you go (Sava Bohinjka) the less currents you gonna be experience! This is the basic fact that the area is very populated in the last days.. and you can catch also some fine large Trout – so we heard.. Most of the larger fish is still down deep and mostly feeds on the nymph.. Dry will bring you enough catch, but will be smaller in size. Try to avoid the bridge in Brod and Savica – several French anglers literary occupied the area and is hard to get a free slot in between of them.
- Sava Bohinjka – Institute (middle part) – Increasing traffic of Italian anglers forecast for the ends of this week, arriving with the dry fly action attempts.. The hatch today was happening strongest in the morning, 8:30 – 11ish, than the sun put the heat down and the fish went back down.. small but heavy nymph was the best reply to offer.. Larger trout also strikes hard on some smaller streamer imitation mostly of the white colour, presented close to the bottom.. (sink tips are a welcome gear to have). Wider configuration of the river bed in the Institute makes the currents feel a bit less strong than on the other areas.. Saturday and Sunday June 8,9 stronger pressure of the Italian anglers is to be expected – of course welcoming them, since we only saw a hand full of them in the May month 😉
- Sava Bohinjka Bled area (lowest of all 3 clubs: BLED TROPHY part is almost sold out for the end of the week, with only few more rods left on the Saturday.. any intention to be one of them – do not hesitate to contact us via ph. or e-mail to book you in! Other areas out of the trophy are not really under the pressure since the currents are still strong and every body is thinking that in the upper fishing clubs will be a better fishing due to less current – eeeee… wrong! Bled regular parts are a good hide out away from the FF masses and the fish are as active than everywhere else… the one who has eyes – let him read!
- Radovna river: almost neglected since the masses of Fly fisherman attached the Sava Bohinjka. But those few who went on the Radovna lately reported back a very positive news, fish not big but very active and almost nobody on the whole river length – not to mention a drop-dead gorgeous spring surrounding nature of the Radovna valley. You want to roam alone on your fly fishing day? Go to the Radovna river!
- Savinja river: so we heard that the permits for the Trophy areas (30/day) are also sold out till Monday next week! Better make a call to their fishing club before staring your journey via Savinja! So you do not stay empty permit handed once arriving! Fishing should be ok if the river is sold-out!
- Krka river: this is a area to consider! In the next day she will be reaching her optimal levels! And since the big eye of the FF is not looking at her – this might be a place to be! Fishing season on the Krka river is like 3 weeks ahead of the Alpine rivers area – hatches are stronger! We can provide the fishing permits, but they go for Eur 70,00/day. If you hit the right day – investment can be well rewarded by brownies feeding on the surface more than on the nymphs!
- Unica river – still in the process of dropping down the levels to reasonable, not yet perfect.. have patient, once the levels drop – fishing will be exploading!
- Idrijca – levels perfect but fishing demanding due to the low temperature of the river. Fish feeds quite selectively and if you want to be sure you gonna make a good quota – take the Trophy part permit.. on the regular one you might be suffering..
- Soca river – getting back to normal, but suffering snow melt.. streamer and nymph ok – dry still not on the maximum.. but if you are on the area, go fishing – later weeks and lower levels will be bringing dozens and dozens of the anglers!
- Lepena (tributary to the Soca river) – jam packed with the anglers – try to find some alternative, since the poor little stream can not take any more human inside..
- Big Sava river – in short words – she is big. too big and too white since the Sava Dolinka is bringing white colour due to the snow melt and rain supplies gathered in the month May..
- Sava Dolinka: where in the current is mostly white and not yet mature for some nice fly fishing.
- Sava Dolinka Power station lake: belly boat area – reporting very good fish activity! Whater is white with some brown alga patches here and there – but you might score up to 20 good size trout/day! Green lights for the lake belly boaters shinning bright!
- Sora – all fine, fishing fine..
Well, you see what can a man learn by working in the fly shop! Surely the above is valid for a few days only, than everything might be changing, but in general I believe the actual situation is well described!
Weather fishing Wizard saying: up to the balls you will be freezing, above the belt you will be boiling! And that is true, water temperature very low, while the Sun will be reaching up to the hey- 34! degrees on Tuesday next week!
Video of the Sava Bohinjka June 5th
sava-bohinjka-june-5 from Fly Fishing in Slovenia on Vimeo.
Video of the Radovna river June 3rd