Dear all fly fishing fans, true – we kept you off the news for a few weeks – sorry for doing that! Nothing new in fact was going on by the Sava Bohinjka, weeks and weeks or steady fly fishing condition, trout were landed, grayling as well, hatches late evening-night almost during the day small nymphs or streamers – that is it what has been happening in the last 3 weeks.
Hence onward we are getting into the real summer with the typical summer conditions – and here is where the Fauna fishing news steps in again;
- Summer brought a lot of folks on the river banks doing all kind of different things out there.. Keep in mind that very early morning 06am till lets say 10-11am you will have all of the river for yourself, while from 11is till 18th better keep away or seek for remote corners or you will be embraced by the BBQ families, kids throwing stones, half nude woman (that we allow) and other distracting factors..
- The upper areas of the Sava Bohinjka – namely fishing club Bohinj suffers a lot from the kayak, boat, sup etc river traffic while having also the lowest levels of all 3 fishing clubs.. not saying you should not go there to fly fish but if so – read the above line.
- Institute part of the Sava Bohinjka doing well, levels fine and temperature of the river still cold enough to give the fish some fighting power.. positive feedback we receive on a daily basis!
- Bled fishing part of the Sava Bohinjka – doing fine as well. Not many anglers on the river but during the day proximity of a tourist town Bled brings some international visitors in different forms and brain capacities – top-less females we tolerate. Again – 06am be on the river if possible..
- Sava Dolinka finally getting in shape after all the spring she suffered snow melt or rain levels.. the one seeking a true robinson fishing – take the Sava Dolinka.
- Big Sava river – getting more and more interesting target while the levels of the Bohinjka slowly dropping and the Sava Dolinka getting clearer.. keep your radar on that one too!
- Krka river – low and grass growing up
- Unica river – fine but early morning and late afternoon
- Radovna river – great, with enough level, NO BOAT traffic, NO swimmers and few anglers/day only. Always fresh breeze in that valley – surely a place to be if you are a fly fisherman visiting in July..
Flies to use during this period….
going dry fly than midge is a must during the day, small gnats, micro red-tags grizzly colored etc… Streamer works as well.. olive, white are dominant colours these days… nymphs no larger than #16 reducing the shine to minimum if possible. Fluorocarbon 6X even 7X is a must. Load it in the Fauna fly shop – we always keep a fresh stock!
Weather fishing wizard saying
July is quite fresh comparing with the previous years – good for fishing we must say! More active fish and a bit less swimmers in the river.. But the storms are behind every corner if we may say so – light rain shelter jacked must be close all the time. Overall the weather is supportive for the fly fishing purposes and tours. Easily you can plan a day or two if you want..